Review & Swatches: Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit in Dolce K


The Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit in Dolce K is a midtone neutral brown nude "kit" that comes with a lip liner and matte liquid lipstick. I'm actually surprised that I even have this in my possession since it keeps getting sold out in seconds. I half got this because of the hype, but I also love the lipstick colors Kylie wears. Everyone has their own personal opinions about Kylie Jenner and the Kardashian, but they always have amazing makeup! The whole lip kit is $29 and contains 1 pencil lip liner with 0.03 ounces / 1.0 gram of product and 1 matte liquid lipstick with 0.11 ounces / 3.25 mL of product. 




The left swatch is the pencil lip liner and the right swatch is the matte liquid lipstick. 

I'm a little bit annoyed at my camera again because the camera and/or my arm is making it look more orangey/tan than it is. I like how the swatch shows off the difference in texture though! Both products are a neutral midtone brown and match pretty perfectly together, but the liquid lipstick has a tiny bit of pink to it.


The Pencil Lip Liner has a creamy texture that just glides on the lips without exaggerating lip lines or dry patches. This sets to a mostly matte finish and have a similar formula to the MAC Lip Pencils and are creamier than the NYX Slim Lip Liners. Besides that, there's not much that sets this lip liner above others. It gets the job done and I'm glad I do have it since I don't have that many nude lip liners, but I felt like it would've been way better to just sell the liquid lipstick by itself. 


The Matte Liquid Lipstick has a thin formula like the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick, but I feel like it's more pigmented. I only have Dolce K to compare, but the KVD lipsticks I compared it to definitely needed 2ish more layers to have the same opacity. 

I had different wear tests - lip liner, liquid lipstick, and a combo of both - and all of the tests did very well. The lip liner fades faster by itself because of the more creamy formula, but it is more moisturizing when worn by itself. 

The wear test with the liquid lipstick and the liquid lipstick + lip liner both did wonderfully and about the same. With just the liquid lip stick, it lasted through drinking water all day and eating 2 meals of oily and cheesy pasta. I barely saw any fading, smearing, or transferring. I feel like the lighter shade (compared to something like True Brown K) might be helping with those issues though. 

My lips did feel dry at the end of the day (10 hours after initial application) and I really needed some lip balm, but my lips / lipstick didn't look any drier compared to initial application. I don't feel like the dryness is any worse than the leading matte liquid lipsticks out there though. 

I don't know if it's apparent, but the color looks pretty much the same on my lips. The liquid lipstick is a tiny bit pinkier, but it's not noticeable besides on the arm swatch. 

Side note - These pictures kind of make me feel like I need to start contouring my nose for pictures though. Kind of have a HeShallNotBeNamed nose thing going on.


Here are some color comparisons of my more brown shades 
Kat Von D Lolita (3rd release) | MAC Whirl | Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit in Dolce K

I also want to point out that when I went to wash off these swatches, the liquid lipstick for Dolce K was the only one that lasted through my normal face wash and some scrubbing. I had to use my oil cleanser and a rougher towel to scrub it fully off. When I took it off my lips, I was able to rub most of it off with a tissue and then broke it down a bit more with an oily lip balm. I would've used an oil cleanser... but I've gotten that in my mouth before and it was not pleasant. 

There is a vanilla cake batter ish smell that I'm not particularly fond of, but it fades away almost immediately. 

Final thoughts: I am surprisingly very happy with the Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit in Dolce K. $29 is a pretty good price for both a lip liner and liquid lipstick of this quality, but I really want her to sell the liquid lipsticks by themselves. As someone that is about a MAC NC35 / MUFE HD Foundation #127 = Y335 / Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in #54, this is a actually a great brown lipstick. It is a very 90's brown lip shade though. I kept looking at my lips and thinking that the lip color looked a bit dated, but also on trend since the 90's are back? Like with most liquid lipsticks, these do feel drying on the lips but I really didn't feel any discomfort until after 7-8ish hours after initial application.

Do you have any of the Kylie Lip Kits? Which is your favorite color? Do you like premade kits or buying things individually?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment