Review & Swatches: Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick in Androgyny


Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick in Androgyny is a purpley plum mauve lipstick and was released for the Holiday 2015 season. It was supposed to be limited edition but since it was so popular, Jeffree Star Cosmetics has decided to bring it back next year! The white cap was only for this release though and future editions of this color will be in the regular hot pink packaging. I've been really into mauves lately and so this shade was the only I really wanted from the holiday collection. There is 0.19 ounces of product and retails for $18.


I took the above picture right after swatching it on my arm, but it does dry down to be fully matte! The applicator is the same as Jeffree Star Cosmetics Unicorn Blood (review here) but I feel like it's a bit fluffier or something because it was harder to get crisp lines. 

In terms of texture, it's thinner than Unicorn Blood and reminds me of the Lime Crime Velvetines. When Androgyny dries down, it looks a bit thick? I believe it's because it's very easy to apply too much on while you're trying to fix the lip lines. Using a lip brush might help with both of these issues though!

Most of the mauves I have have some brown, pink, or red to it, but this one definitely has purpley / plum tones. On my arm, it looks more pink but it doesn't show up like this on my lips at all.


The above pictures were taken with natural lighting, but there was some overcast that made things look a bit more cool toned. 


The above pictures were taken with natural and sunny lighting. I would say that this picture is the closest to what it looks like in person.

My personal opinion about the color is that I'm not a huge fan. It's too plum for me compared to all of the pictures I saw of it online and it even looks too cool toned sometimes. The majority of my collection is very warm with some taupes and so this doesn't particularly match either. I do sometimes layer NYX's Slim Lip Pencil in Mauve underneath and it adds some pinkness that makes it look better on me.

In a less bias way in regards to the color, this is still a great lipstick and the formula is very long lasting. It is drying, but just as drying as other liquid to matte lipsticks. The color also really sticks onto your lips and barely transfers onto anything. I did see fading in the outer corners though. 


L to R -
NYX Slim Liner in Mauve - more pinky brown
Jeffree Star Cosmetics Velour Liquid Lipstick in Androgyny
Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Veronica - More pink
Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita - more terracotta brown
Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick in Trust Issues - more purple

Final thoughts: I was expecting this color to be more pink based on online swatches and so I was kind of disappointed that it ended up being a very plummy mauve. It's still a very pretty color and so I don't regret the purchase.  I just have to wear this lip color paired up with a no-makeup makeup base/eye look though because everything else I own kind of clashes with it. The formula is thin but looks a bit thicker than Unicorn Blood and Masochist and so I prefer not to use it straight from the tube. Jeffree Star Cosmetics do have a great liquid lipstick formula and so you won't go wrong with this or any other color! If this color is up your alley, I would try to get it when it officially comes back but I wouldn't pay more than retail price to get it somewhere else before hand.

Have you tried Jeffree Star Cosmetics? If you have Androgyny, how do you like it?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment