Review & Swatches: Benefit They're Real Tinted Lash Primer


Benefit recently released a new lash primer - They're Real! Tinted Lash Primer in Mink Brown! Before the official launch, Benefit gave away mini versions as a gift with purchase in stores like Ulta and Sephora. I was honestly wondering when they would do this since They're Real! is such a popular mascara. Personally, the only reason why I didn't like They're Real! is because it would uncurl my lashes. Besides that, I thought it was great for volume, definition, and length and so I knew I had to get this primer to try out. The full sized version contains 0.3 ounces of product and retails for $24.



I don't currently have the original They're Real! to compare with the primer, but I do remember that the bristles were longer. I know this because the original used to poke my eyes resulting in teary eyes and smeared mascara whenever I was in a rush. The bristles on the primer is at a perfect length where you can easily comb through your lashes without hitting your eye balls.

I prefer plastic bristles for my mascaras and so I was excited to see the wand. Most primers I've tried have traditional wands and while those are good for volume, they sometimes deposit too much product and make my lashes clumpy. I found that this primer helped with definition, but the volume was lacking compared primers like Urban Decay's Subversion. The volume is also affected by what mascara you layer on though!

Benefit's claims only include boosting lash length and separation, and so you should probably skip this primer if you're looking for mostly volume. 


L to R -
Bare Lashes / They're Real! Primer / They're Real Primer + NARS Audacious Mascara

I usually use a "base layer" with a waterproof mascara, but I also wanted to demonstrate using it on my bare lashes.

As you can, this primer also uncurls my stubborn and naturally straight lashes. The color does look very natural though and so if you have naturally curly lashes or lashes that don't uncurl with non-waterproof mascaras, wearing this alone would look great. 


L to R:
Bare Lashes
Maybelline Lash Sensational Waterproof Mascara
Lash Sensational + They're Real Primer
Lash Sensational + They're Real Primer + Lash Sensational

The real test I do with all primers is with a "base" coat. It immediately lets me see how well the primer works since my lashes are visible from the front (to test length) instead of the bottom (to test definition and volume like below).

I don't know about you, but I do see added length and definition. It was also really easy to layer on the mascara because the plastic bristles helped me define my lashes. With something like Urban Decay Subversion, one coat of the primer is good enough for voluminous lashes but it's easy to add on too much. You can try to take some away by using a clean lash comb, but it adds more time on an already relatively long lash process. 

Even with the primer on top of the mascara, there is a bit of brown showing through. It isn't as light as just the primer itself, but it is still natural looking.

I don't know why, but my curl did drop a bit in the final look. I think it's more related to layering the mascara too much than the primer though. 


The bottom view shows a better demonstration on definition. Personally, I feel like this combination does keep my lashes defined. All of the other primers I've tried look a lot clumpier no matter what I do.

Final thoughts: For length and definition, I am definitely a fan. Benefit did a great job on this primer and it's great that the coloring lets it be worn alone or layered with another mascara. The other primers I've used were all white and so you could only use them with other mascaras. I don't agree with Benefit's claim that this helps with lift, but my lashes are stubbornly straight and so I won't knock down this primer too hard. I do really like the end results when using this primer since my lashes look extra fanned out and fluttery, but my preference for primers is to add volume. I am wow-ed by this primer, but not more wow-ed than a great drugstore priced lengthening and defining mascara. 

Have you tried this primer? Are you a fan of Benefit lash products?

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment