Review & Swatches: L'oreal Voluminous Superstar Waterproof Mascara in Blackest Black


Firstly, I would like to apologize for the white based background on the above picture since it doesn't show the primer side that well.

Moving on... 

The L'oreal Voluminous Superstar Waterproof Mascara in Blackest Black is a two step mascara that contains a volumizing primer (Step 1) and a lengthening and lifting fiber mascara (Step 2). I personally love lash primers and wanted to try this out in case it's better than my beloved Urban Decay Subversion Mascara Primer. Both sides contain 0.20 fl oz / 6.0 mL of product each and retails for around $10 depending on where you buy it.


Here's a quick before and after to show what effect the mascara gives me. 

Like other primer + mascara combinations, I did a layer of the mascara, the primer, and then the mascara. Using the primer by itself usually wilts my curl.



Step 1 (left) has a flat hourglass type of wand while Step 2 (right) has a curved brush. Both of them have traditional bristles though. I personally like plastic bristles since they separate my lashes better.

I'm really glad about the wand choices though. The flatter brush for Step 1 helped deposit the primer really well. It's like the smaller version of Urban Decay's primer, which makes sense since L'oreal owns Urban Decay. The curved brush for Step 2 helps fan out and hug the lashes to coat the lashes evenly. 


L to R -
Bare curled lashes
One layer of Step 2
Layer of Step 1
Final layer of Step 2

I can definitely see the volume I get from Step 2, but the fibers made my lashes clump up faster than normal. It's nothing a clean mascara wand can't fix though. 


L to R
Bare Lashes
One layer of Step 2
One layer of Step 1 + another layer of Step 2

The pictures from below usually help me see if length was affected. To me, it does look like my lashes are longer. 

The thing I disliked the most about this product was how dry the mascara was. I felt like I had to spend more time on my lashes to coat the mascara on to create that first layer. It bothered me because my lashes work well with dry mascaras (usually due to being waterproof) since they hold my curl better. 

The mascara still worked though, I just wished it was a little bit wetter. I also want to note that even though the mascara has fibers, they didn't irritate my eyes even with contacts on. 

The primer was also a little dry, but there was enough moisture to easily leave a light coating on the lashes. I actually started to use this more often than my UD primer because it's not as wet though. The UD primer gives me really nice thick lashes, but it's not always necessary. I've been using the Step 1 primer with other mascaras for my work days so that I can save my UD for more special non-work days. 


Here's just a full face of what the mascara looks like. Even though the pairing is supposed to create long and volumized lashes, they just look normal and even fitting for a "no makeup" makeup look. 

Final thoughts: The combination of both ends is an okay mascara for me and won't be repurchasing it. If I look at Step 2 individually, I definitely would not purchase. It applies like I left it open for a couple of days and takes a bit more work to look like I put on anything. If I look at Step 1 individually, I think I would be willing to buy a full sized version of it since repurchasing the UD primer over and over again could be expensive. This could be a good starter mascara for those who want to try lash primers and like drier mascaras though, but that's not me. 

Have you tried this mascara? Do you have a favorite L'oreal mascara? Are you also sad that they discontinued the L'oreal Telescopic Waterproof mascara like I am....

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment