Review & Swatches: Lipstick Queen Hello Sailor Lipstick


After getting and loving Frog Prince (review here), I was convinced I also needed to get Lipstick Queen's Hello Sailor. Instead of using pH "magic" like Frog Prince, this navy blue lipstick goes on sheer to tint the lips into a plummy / berry color. Vitamin E is also infused into the lipstick to keep the lips moisturized. This product contains 0.12 ounces and retails for $25. 


This lipstick is so interesting and cool to look at. The packaging is made out of metal and feels sleek. 

By swatching this product in stores and having Frog Prince, I already knew that this product was going to be sheer. 

I'm going to say straight out that $25 is probably too much to spend on this product and I mostly got it for the novelty. I lucked out on it actually look very beautiful on the lips and perfect for transitioning into cooler weather though. 


Above is my natural lip color. 


Above is using 2 layers of Hello Sailor. You can definitely see the more plummy/purpley tones to my lip now. The color is translucent and so your natural lip color is really going to affect the final presentation. 

I would say that this product is definitely different from normal tinted lip balms available out there right now. Maybelline Baby Lips don't compare at all. I guess you can think of it as - this shifts the tone of your lips to enhance it instead of tinting your lips to cover the natural color?

Like Frog Prince, the lip color didn't transfer that much while I ate or drank. This product even left a slight tint to my lips. 

This product is advertised as being moisturizing, but doesn't say that it's a lip balm kind of product. With that in mind, this product feels very moisturizing on the lips during the first 2-3 hours after first application. After the product fades, my lips do feel slightly dry. I usually alternate between reapplying Hello Sailor and lip balm so that I can keep the color but keep my lips moisturized.  


The full face picture shows me using about 3 layers. You can see that my lips look more berry-toned compared to the picture of my bare lips. 

The translucency of the product also helps keep the color looking more natural and fuss-free. It's become one of my favorite products to wear since it doesn't smear all over the place and it's very low maintenance. 

A plus to this lip color is that it also makes your teeth look more white due to it being blue!

Final thoughts: I highly recommend this product in general since it's a more unique take on adding berry toned lips to your collection. Even so, I can see it not being worth $25 to a lot of people. You can get full on, more opaque lip colors for the same price, sheer it out, and then add lip balm on for a similar effect. Like I said in this post, I mostly got it for the novelty but I do love it immensely. If it's in your budget, I do recommend checking it out!

Have you tried this product? Do you like this or Frog Prince more?
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment